On Saturday, August 21, 1971, the first official meeting of the School Sector was held. At that time the Sector was composed of 82 unions representing a total of 7131 members. Today the Sector is made up of 37 unions and represents approximately 30,000 union members.
From 1971 to today, a total of 12 Presidents have been elected:
- Jean-Louis Chabot from August 21, 1971 to February 24, 1973
- André Pelletier from February 25, 1973 to February 4, 1976
- Émile Béland from June 26, 1976 to June 11, 1977
- Maurice Plourde from June 12, 1977 to September 18, 1980
- Henley Pagé from September 19, 1980 to March 20, 1981
- Ginette Guérin from March 21, 1981 to June 11, 1981
- Nicole Daigle from June 12, 1981 to February 25, 1982
- Ginette Guérin from February 26, 1982 to November 19, 1987
- Gilles Cayer from November 20, 1987 to February 18, 1988
- Ginette Guérin from February 19, 1988 to May 26, 1988
- Yvon Dumas from May 27, 1988 to Aprill 18, 1992
- Louise Desjardins from April 19, 1992 to May 17, 1995
- Ronald Gauthier from May 18, 1995 to November 14, 2008
- Danielle Beaulieu from November 15, 2008 to the present.
The School Sector Logo
In 1995, the School Sector decided to adopt a logo that would include the following criteria.:
- A clear representation of all the categories of support-staff working in the FEESP/CSN School Sector.
- A concept that would illustrate the types of work accomplished by these unionized employees.
This is the logo we are now so familiar with – an image of typical school that exists here in Quebec. By adding the graphics that illustrate the various categories of employment on different floors, the Executive Committee wanted to emphasize the importance of support-staff personnel at every level. It also underlines the fact that the expertise of support-staff plays a role in in contributing to student success. Versions of this logo can be found on all official communications from the School Sector, as well as on posters. A button in the form of the logo is also available.